This Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice is some good cajun comfort food for this southern girl that’s been basically raised right outside of New Orleans or as the locals call it N’awlins. Historically red beans and rice was made every Monday because that was wash day…you’d stick your beans on and let them cook all day. Most Mondays I’m washing clothes too…but I’ve found a better way to speed up the process and it tastes JUST as yummy from my Instant Pot!
Talk about easy and a meal the whole family loves that is this Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice. Just because I have cajun in my title doesn’t mean it’s spicy so don’t quit on me now!
How to Make Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Here’s how to make this Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Step 1 – Brown your sausage in your Instant Pot along with your creole seasoning mix which is –> onions, celery, peppers, garlic – I get it pre chopped at the store!
Step 2 – Place your red beans in the Instant Pot and cover with water. Add in your garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaves, salt, pepper and thyme.
Step 3 – Cook your beans according to your bean setting on your Instant Pot Bean. Which should be for approx 50 min.
Step 4 – When your beans are finished pressuring and you’ve let the pressure go down on it’s own ( don’t help it along!) Take 1-2 cups of beans out, mash them up and put them back in.
Your Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice is ready to serve!
Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Ready to make this Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
- 2 lbs Camellia Red Beans
- Creole Trinity seasoning mix – a fresh mix that is pre chopped with onions, celery, pepper, parsley. (fi your local grocery doesn’t have this mix in your produce section you can easily make it yourself: 3/4 cup onion, 3/4 cup celery, 1/2 cup bell pepper and a handful of chopped parsley.)
- 1 clove freshly chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Brown your sausage in 1 Tbsp of oil with the creole trinity mix and garlic in your Instant Pot on the sauté setting until your onions are clear and sausage is browned to your liking.
- Place dried camellia red beans in your Instant Pot with 4 cups of water (make sure your beans are covered very well with water, you’d rather too much than not enough water!)
- Add your seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme.
- Set your Instant Pot on the bean setting + 10 minutes. Let fully pressure and let the pressure release naturally on it’s own (don’t help it at the end!!)
- Once pressure is fully released remove 1-2 cups of cooked beans and mash them up, then put back in your Instant Pot.
- Now your Red Beans are ready to serve.
- Make a pot of white rice in your Instant Pot to go along with your Red Beans and your meal is complete!
Another favorite Creole Instant Pot Recipe:
This recipe of mine was seen on Country Living – Instant Pot Kettle Corn
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes– come out perfect every single time!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Recipe – can duel as multiple meals and a perfect freezer meal!
Do you want all the ins and outs of an Instant Pot? Be sure to visit HERE!
What goes with red beans and rice?
Here in the New Orleans Cajun area you’ll also find many serving it with a side of coleslaw or potato salad – both of which make an excellent combo!
If you are like me I was raised on multiple dishes at a meal…nothing was simple in our southern kitchen – but with the red beans and rice you have a meal within one dish…yet we always ask what goes with red beans and rice? Traditionally here in the cajun culture in New Orleans many people serve red beans and rice with potato salad – yes potato salad!
Here are my recommendations for serving and pairing together:
- Potato Salad
- French Bread + butter
- Cole Slaw