This Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice is some good cajun comfort food for this southern girl that’s been basically raised right outside of New Orleans or as the locals call it N’awlins. Historically red beans and rice was made every Monday because that was wash day…you’d stick your beans on and let them cook all day. Most Mondays I’m washing clothes too…but I’ve found a better way to speed up the process and it tastes JUST as yummy from my Instant Pot!
Talk about easy and a meal the whole family loves that is this Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice. Just because I have cajun in my title doesn’t mean it’s spicy so don’t quit on me now!
How to Make Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Here’s how to make this Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Step 1 – Brown your sausage in your Instant Pot along with your creole seasoning mix which is –> onions, celery, peppers, garlic – I get it pre chopped at the store!
Step 2 – Place your red beans in the Instant Pot and cover with water. Add in your garlic powder, onion powder, bay leans, salt, pepper and thyme.
Step 3 – Cook your beans according to your on your Instant Pot Bean setting for 50 minutes.
Step 4 – When your beans are finished pressuring and you’ve let the pressure go down on it’s own ( don’t help it along!) Take 1-2 cups of beans out, mash them up and put them back in.
Your Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice is ready to serve! Serve it with white rice and fresh french bread (with lots of butter!)
Here in the New Orleans Cajun area you’ll also find many serving it with a side of coleslaw or potato salad – both of which make an excellent combo!
Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Ready to make this Instant Pot New Orleans Red Beans and Rice? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
- 2 lbs Camellia Red Beans
- Creole seasoning mix – a fresh mix that is pre chopped with onions, celery, pepper, parsley.
- 1 clove freshly chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Brown your sausage in 1 Tbsp of oil with the creole mix and garlic in your Instant Pot on the sauté setting until your onions are clear and sausage is browned to your liking.
- Place dried camellia red beans in your Instant Pot with 4 cups of water (make sure your beans are covered very well with water, you’d rather too much than not enough water!)
- Add your seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme.
- Set your Instant Pot on the bean setting + 10 minutes. Let fully pressure and let the pressure release naturally on it’s own (don’t help it at the end!!)
- Once pressure is fully released remove 1-2 cups of cooked beans and mash them up, then put back in your Instant Pot.
- Now your Red Beans are ready to serve.
- Make a pot of white rice in your Instant Pot to go along with your Red Beans and your meal is complete!
More Instant Pot Recipes
This recipe of mine was seen on Country Living – Instant Pot Kettle Corn
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes– come out perfect every single time!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Recipe – can duel as multiple meals and a perfect freezer meal!
Do you want all the ins and outs of an Instant Pot? Be sure to visit HERE!
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from a small town in South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom. A blog helping moms capture their kiddos in life, chatting all things home, and parenting, travels and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little three year old preschooler, Miss E, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure… we love to travel and love being involved in ministry opportunities at our church.