Looking for an easy and delicious New Orleans style Instant Pot Gumbo? Serve the Instant Pot Gumbo with rice and include this recipe in with your other favorite creole instant pot favorites.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PrepNowSavorLater #StockPrepWin #CollectiveBias
Instant Pot Gumbo
As the holidays are quickly approaching I’m already making a list of a few recipes that are crowd friendly…plus I like to look for crowd friendly recipes that are freezer friendly. So sometimes this can be a challenge to find both…but this Instant Pot Gumbo definitely gives me both and is such a tasty recipe to share with family and friends. Being raised right outside of New Orleans most all of my life I’ve come to appreciate the cajun culture and food at the same time learning to cook it! I’ve added a couple of favorites and turned them into great instant pot recipes –> Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is a very popular recipe that goes hand in hand with this cajun gumbo.
As I mentioned this is a crowd pleaser and freezer friendly – yet might I add it’s one of the MOST simple recipes to cook ever. I mean that with all that is within me…I’m not just exaggerating this at all.
I have found THE BEST way to freeze this recipe is by using my FoodSaver® FM5330 Vacuum Sealing System and my FoodSaver® Heat-Sealed Rolls and FoodSaver® Heat-Sealed Bags that go along with it. Why these bags? Because they are best for long-term freezer storage, blocking out air and helping to prevent freezer burn and how true this is!!! So for me this makes me stocking up my freezer super easy…and YES it’s the FoodSaver® – As seen on TV…but even though they are seen on TV I snagged mine at Bed Bath and Beyond!
This FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealer FM5330 keeps food fresh in less time with less steps compared to theFoodSaver® V4440 Models. FoodSaver® is the solution to save food by keeping food fresh up to 5x longer than ordinary storage methods i.e. zipper bags, foil, plastic wrap, containers etc. It truly does help prevent freezer burn which was a seller for me!
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
- 1-2 lbs sausage
- 2-3 lbs boneless chicken breasts – cut up (even better you can use leftover turkey from holiday cooking!)
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 c. Tony’s Instant Roux
- 3 toes of garlic, crushed
- 1 container of the trinity mix (it is pre-chopped bell pepper, onion, celery and parsley, so if you can’t get your hands on that at your local grocery you can simple make it up yourself with 3/4 cup onion, 3/4 cup celery, 1/2 cup bell pepper and a handful of chopped parsley.)
- Tony’s Creole Seasoning to taste
- 4 c. water
- Sauté trio medley with sausage in Instant Pot until sausage is browned.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, garlic, water and Tony’s creole seasoning in Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot on Soup Setting.
- Serve hot with white rice, french bread or hush puppies – which is a favorite side to this dish for us!
- This recipe can double or triple easily.
- If you plan on placing it in the freezer let cool completely before placing it in your FoodSaver® Heat-Sealed Rolls and FoodSaver® Heat-Sealed Bags.
- It’s so super easy to follow the step by steps instructions given for creating a bag to use with your FoodSaver® FM5330 Vacuum Sealing System
There are some great versions of the Gumbo recipe that can easily be adapted for your special diets and restrictions. I’ve seen several great versions for:
These alternatives maybe helpful if you are looking for those versions, adapt each recipe to your needs and likes! Enjoy!
I hope you all will give this Instant Pot recipe a whirl and try it out! Do you have any great crowd friendly and freezer friendly recipes you can share with me?