These Back To School Picture Ideas are easy whether you’re going for cute back to school pictures, first day of school picture ideas, funny first day of school pictures or finding ways to be creative with your first day of school pictures.
Have you bought your school supplies? Picked out the perfect lunch box and ran yourself frantically looking for those last minute uniforms or outfits needed? Well now is the time to also think about those adorable back to school pictures!
Getting back into a back to school routine is always hard on the first day of school! There are a ton of resources out there to help us mama’s like the cute lunch box printables, the chore chart printables and the list goes on! These resources certainly do help me when it comes to buying school supplies, new school uniforms/clothes or even lunch box ideas! Today though, we are talking all about those cute memorable pictures we all want to take…as the years fly by we want to capture our little ones on these milestones!
Back To School Picture Ideas
- Your child dressed in their new Back To School outfit – if your child has to wear a uniform consider a unique or fun back to school sign they can hold!
- A sign with their favorite things that they are enjoying at this age/grade – ask them questions and place their answers on a sign.
- A sign with the grade they are entering – a simple idea is just have them hold a sign with the grade they are entering!
We all know there are numerous props that can be used for pictures in photo sessions…but some cute props for back to school pictures are:
Back to School Photo Props
- Apple/s – have the child holding an apple
- Books – their favorite book sitting on books or laying down leaning on some books
- Book Bag – we know every child has picked out their favorite book bag for the new year -capture this sweet memory!
- Chalk Board – write on the board their name, age, grade, teacher, school and date
- School Desk – comb your thrift stores for a vintage school desk, these make GREAT props.
- Globe – comb your thrift stores for a vintage globe – these are an all time favorite
- In front of their School – capturing your child where they will attend school is a really nice memory
- In front of your front door – if you leave out of your front door every day, why not capture these sweet spot
- A Yummy treat for the first day of school – who doesn’t love a doughnut on their first day of school?
- Fun Glasses – get some silly glasses – makes super cute smiles!
- Wooden Blocks Spelling out their grade – I love wooden blocks, you can do so many great ideas for photo sessions
- Dictionary – comb your thrift store for some old dictionaries
- Big pencils – make fun props to add into your back to school pictures!
It’s that time! The mister (aka hubby) is back to teaching, hence back to school is even more in full swing for us, which means lots of change in our household. Back to School means back into our routine and scheduled lives. It’s a bittersweet season of life but deep down I really do love our routine and schedule. It’s something I thrive on and do so well with, although it will take me a few days to get into our new rhythm of life.
Back to School Picture Tips
- Get your older kids involved too! Think of a creative way to get them on board! Use hashtag signs or have them jump in front of their school sign!
- Prep for this photo session in advance! Don’t try to pull it together last minute, it will show, have it organized because the first day of school is always hectic!
- Do your First Day of School picture the day before…for a little less stress on mama taking the pictures
- I’m never opposed to bribing…just saying!
- Remember to have fun...and let your kids have fun – don’t aim for perfection rather capturing this milestone memory.
If you are looking for some unique and creative ideas for older kids back to school pictures- It’s Always Autumn has some great ideas that are chill and cool!
More back to School Resources:
Morning Chore Chart Printables
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little one year old, Miss Elle, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses!