Camping Scavenger Hunt
As we head out on our next camping trip into the great outdoors, I had to create a new camping scavenger hunt printable. It’s fun for all ages that come along! On the scavenger hunt list, I included a little twist: we’ll have to find a Campbell’s canned good. This go around, I grabbed the yummy Campbell’s® Chunky® Chicken Noodle soup from Winn Dixie (in the canned good aisle). I like to hide the special item around camp so that it’s easier for the kiddos to find while hunting down other nature items. This will serve two purposes for this mama…a quick and easy meal while camping plus a fun twist to our scavenger hunt ideas to incentivize the participants!
If you and your family/friends camp, you know that our world full of nature has plenty to explore and tons of adventure. Yet, there is something fun about a little challenge and friendly competition thrown into the mix. Between campfires, nature walks, hikes, bike rides, mud pies, and roasting marshmallows, a good nature scavenger hunt is in order. Get the whole family involved—we’ve split our teams into families, age groups, gender, or even just random “mix ups”—and go have fun!
What is a nature hunt? Or a nature scavenger hunt? As a team you are on the hunt for a list of items found in nature, outside in the great outdoors. It is a great way to get the whole family, of all ages, to explore together. This nature hunt has the added benefit of fun and adventure.
Printable Scavenger Hunt
You can download our free scavenger hunt list by clicking HERE. Included is a blank box where you can fill in a bonus item and personalize it if you’d like! You can make this into a photo scavenger hunt and use phones/cameras to document your finds, or you can go on the honor system and let the kids gather what they can into a bag. Some on our list can’t be stuffed into a bag but many items can, and that makes it fun and engaging for the kids!
Included in our list are items/ideas like:
- Flat Rock
- Round Rock
- 3 Types of Leaves
- Campbell’s® Chunky® Chicken Noodle Soup/canned good from Winn Dixie –> snag a coupon!
- Something Camouflage
- Animal Tracks
- Water Bottle
- Spider Web
- Something Tiny
- Tree Bark
- Walking Stick
- And you can always add lots more…encourage creative finds!
How do you arrange a Scavenger Hunt?
- Divide your family/friends into teams. Each team needs an adult leader.
- Give each team the scavenger hunt list and a pen/pencil
- Give a time limit with a start time and end time. Otherwise this hunt may go on for awhile!
- Hand each team or team member a bag to collect items in. This is particularly fun for the little ones tagging along! They feel so much more included in this game!
- Let each team know where to meet up at the end!
- (optional) Encourage creative and unique finds by giving bonus points. We’ve always said if another team comes back with the same “unique find,” it’s null and void on extra points—it wasn’t that unique after all!
- If there is a tie, break it by giving extra points to the most creative finds (see #6)
- Ready… set… GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Have a prize for the team that finds the most items on the list but makes it back to the given spot on time. You can make this as elaborate or as simple as you’d like!
What are the rules for a scavenger hunt?
There are a few important rules you may want to go over before setting the timer and saying GO!
You’ll need to set the rules that fit your group/ages, but a few basic rules to remember:
- All groups need to stay together at all times – there is so much safety in numbers!
- Be respectful to those around you – in nature and at the campground
- Don’t let competitive instincts take over – be respectful!
- No littering along the way – if you see trash go ahead and pick it up and throw it away!
- Don’t cheat – cheaters never win!
- Are there any boundaries? Set those ahead of time, areas in which the teams must stay in or stay away from.
- Be courteous to teammates, opponents, and strangers alike.
Once the hunt has ended and all teams and team members have arrived safely back at the appointed time and location, it’s time to tally up the finds. I can guarantee there will be plenty of laughs.
Now it’s time to bundle up around the campfire and make a yummy pot of Campbell’s Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup for the whole gang to enjoy! Stop by your local Southeastern Grocers store to grab all your essential camping snacks and necessities!
Do you have a favorite camping game or activity? Please share in the comments below!