On a 3 day vacation or just have 1 day with family in New Orleans? These are ideas for Family Things to do in New Orleans as you explore the culture and city.
Thank you to Audubon Nature Institute for sponsoring this post. All words and opinions are my own.
Family Things to do in New Orleans
What can a family do in New Orleans? The possibilities are endless – there are so many opportunities for a family to explore New Orleans – while enjoying the culture of the city, hearing jazz music, the architecture it offers, the rich history you can learn and the amazing cuisine you’ll find on every corner!
Exploring the city of New Orleans with Kids can be fun and exciting. Whether you are planning just a day with family or a vacation as a family…the options are full of endless fun! This city is alive and there is always something going on! Be sure to check out seasonal activities, events, festivals and exhibits because during holidays there are lots of additional activities to choose from.
This past week we spent a day as a family in New Orleans – since we are close enough for day trips! We’ve lived in this area for almost 35 years, so exploring the city never gets old and yet every time we discover and find new things to try. My husband and I had been to the Audubon Aquarium several years ago, but our little one had not. So we decided a hot day in June was the perfect day to pack up our favorite snacks and hit the road for an inside kid activity in New Orleans! The city can certainly get hot and fill up with humidity without a notice!
So off we went as a family…we brought our nephew/cousin along and off we went to the Audubon Aquarium with these two little troopers! They both have been to the Audubon Zoo so when I tried to explain to them where we were going – because these 4 year olds didn’t know what an Aquarium was – it was kind of humorous. The best way I knew how to explain it was that instead of the zoo we are going to an inside place that has all of the water and sea life/animals! Seeing their excitement for the unknown and then their eyes full of exploration while we were there was the best gift for this mama heart!
Located on the Mississippi River adjacent to the French Quarter Audubon Aquarium of the Americas immerses you in an underwater world. We had a blast walking through and visiting each exhibit.
A few tips for visiting the Audubon Aquarium:
- Tickets – get your tickets online and save $3 per ticket price.
- Scan from Phone – No worries if you can’t print out the ticket on paper, they will be able to scan from the email from your phone/device.
- Screen Theater – Aquarium tickets include admission to the Entergy Giant Screen Theater.
- Map – Grab a map of the Aquarium as you enter the front doors
- When to visit? The best time to visit is on a weekday right after lunch because everyone has left for the morning rush – gone to lunch – and now you’ve got the place to yourself – at least it feels that way!!!!
- Pet the stingrays – no matter how long the line, it moves pretty quickly, but it’s a really neat experience. This is what the kids are still talking about!
- Parakeet Pointe – Where you can feed a parakeet. (You can purchase a feeding stick) or you can just walk out to the observation area and see the birds flying right around you and eating. They are beautiful parakeets – we admired these for quite a few minutes!
- Bring along – You can bring along your camera so take lots of family photos and videos.
- Strollers are welcome – so if you’ve got toddlers feel free to bring along a stroller. The areas are plenty wide to access with a stroller as well.
- Information Booth Tip – As you enter at the information booth (where you grabbed your map!) get a hand-stamp so if you want to leave and come back within the same day you can!
- Parking – There is plenty of public parking right in the French Quarter so it’s easy to find parking (on most days – unless it’s a beautiful weekend or holiday!) There is a small fee for the public parking where you pay at a stand alone booth.
- Average Time Spent – When we are at the New Orleans Aquarium we usually only spend a couple of hours as we walk through and enjoy ourselves. You can certainly plan on adding more activities to your day on the day you choose to go to the Aquarium.
Be sure your family also visits the:
If you are looking for more ideas on indoor kid activities in New Orleans or all around family things to do in New Orleans – Mommy Poppins has a great read and break down with more ideas and tips!