Easy Sugar Cookies for Decorating – this recipe is the best sugar cookie recipe I’ve found that makes perfect cookies for decorating. Decorating sugar cookies with kids is a fun Christmas activity to add to your list.
Last week we had friends over for our annual Christmas sugar cookie decorating play date. Last year was our first year and it really was a lot of fun. Yes, it’s a lot on us mamas but the memories we are making together as friends with our little ones sure is a sweet blessing.
Easy Sugar Cookies for Decorating
What you need to make these easy sugar cookies for decorating.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP milk (or cream- I used almond milk it was perfectly fine)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
How to make sugar cookies for decorating:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter.
- Stir sugar and egg into your butter.
- Add milk, vanilla, salt, baking powder
- Add your flour in.
- Mix together by hand. It maybe thin but don’t add more flour
- Chill for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees
Tips for Decorating Sugar cookies with kids:
- Using parchment paper, roll out the dough with a rolling pin – (don’t roll super thin but thin enough you can cut dough with cookie cutters and place on the baking sheet)
- Let the kids choose cookie cutters and cut out different Christmas shapes
- Bake cookies as directed above. Let completely cool before decorating.
- Use all of the excess dough, squish back into a ball and repeat steps 1,2,3 until your dough is used up.
- Mix up the best icing for decorating sugar cookies
- Dip the top of the cookie into the icing (or you can spread with a knife)
- Let the kids decorate with sprinkles or colored icing!
- Best tip – use crawfish trays to decorate cookies in to contain sprinkles from going EVERYWHERE.
- Most of all – have fun!
We are a husband and wife team, pairing our strengths together to teach our preschooler in the most fun and engaging way we possibly can. The mister is a high school educator at Northlake Christian school in Covington Louisiana and over the Innovation Center, which is all things STEAM. I am a SAHM that blogs pretty much everything we do in our little paradise, from what we eat, where we travel to how we teach our little one. We hope you are inspired to incorporate STEAM into learning with your children.