Sharing our contest winner which is a Creamy Orange Ice Cream Recipe – with using orange juice to make it taste like a creamsicle recipe.
A few weeks ago we had an ice cream social at our church which dueled as a homemade ice cream contest. If you know my husband you know he’s an ice cream fanatic! He mentioned making orange ice cream and I honestly kind of snarled my nose…I’m a chocolate fan…but I went with what he wanted and I have to say it’s the real deal.
It was the perfect balance of creamy, not too sweet, and orange-y flavor – it just was so so good. In fact he won first place…but all of my research of finding the perfect recipe came into me combining two recipes I found. I was looking for a creamy custard like vanilla taste with a touch of orange that wasn’t over-powering or over sugary.
So here goes our contest winner recipe!
Orange Ice Cream Recipe
- 9 Egg Yolks
- 1 c. Sugar
- 1 1/2 c. Milk
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 pinches of salt
- Zest of 5 oranges
- 2 1/2 c. Orange Juice
Makes 2 Quarts
- Add egg yolks and sugar to a medium saucepan and whisk until a light yellow color and well combined.
- In a separate small sauce pan, heat milk over medium-low heat until it just begins to simmer. Do not stir.
- Gradually add milk to egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return to heat until it reaches 165º F, but do not allow it to come to a boil. As soon as it reaches the correct temperature, remove it from the heat.
- Pour custard base into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until it chills to 65º F. The longer the custard base chills, the creamier your ice cream will be. I stored mine in the fridge overnight
- Once the custard base is ready, stir in the heavy cream, vanilla extract, salt, zest and orange juice then pour it into your ice cream maker
- Process your ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. We have a hand crank machine – which makes our ice cream have a little more love added into it!
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little three year old preschooler, Miss E, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses! Follow me at: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST