I’ve been sharing like crazy over on my Instagram stories all about our gardening adventures! The fun adventure of starting plants from seeds to now reaping a harvest enough to do a favorite No Cook Refrigerator Sweet Pickle recipe!
For the first time we started all of our plants by seeds this year. It took a lot of planning and dedication but wow-wee has it been worth it, not to mention truly helped the budget when it comes to gardening!
We started most of our garden from scratch this year…we planted seeds back in the winter months and as we crept into spring we found our seedlings becoming plants, where we had to transplant into bigger pots and then soon we were actually planting our vegetable plants in the ground!
Now we are reaping the benefits and it couldn’t be more fun…actually I really, honestly think it’s become a true happy place for each of us in our family. It’s a lot of work, dedication and time but let me tell you – knowing where our veggies are coming from is a nice thought!
All of that to say we have had cucumbers coming out of our ears – not literally but almost!!!! So aside from eating them…what do you do with them all- right? Well we’ve shared A LOT with family and friends already plus…
I’ve already made three batches of this no cook refrigerator sweet pickle recipe – about to make a fourth today! It’s quite rewarding.
Anyway – over on my Instagram stories I’ve posted most every time we’ve made a batch of these and quite a few of you have been asking for the recipe which I’m happy to share with you all. Let me also say this is one of the EASIEST recipes ever – which is another reason I couldn’t love it more!
Start by prepping your 1/2 gallon glass jars by washing them and having them ready to go! I do love using glass and these wide mouth canning jars are perfect to use year after year.
No Cook Refrigerator Sweet Pickles
- 1/2 gallon thinly sliced cucumbers
- 3 c. sugar
- 3 c. vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. turmeric
- 3/4 tsp. mustard seed
- 3 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1 medium, thinly sliced onion
- Wash your cucumbers.
- Thinly slice your cucumbers and onions.
- Place your mustard seed and celery seed on the bottom of your 1/2 gallon jar.
- Pack your cucumbers layered with onions into your jar. There is no magic way to layer the cucs and onions - just your preference!
- Combine sugar, vinegar, turmeric and salt into a sauce pan and bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour the liquid mix into your jar over your cucumbers/onions and screw your jar lid on.
- Place in your fridge for 2 weeks and then enjoy.
- These pickles will last a long time stored in the fridge!
- Also don't be afraid to add more onions if you like more - I'm telling you, you really can't mess this recipe up!!!!
- I highly recommend using a glass jar and if you don't have a 1/2 gallon jar you can always split the recipe up into quart canning jars.
We like to eat these as a side dish when grilling in the summer time, I also chop them up and use them in our chicken salad or we’ll top them on a turkey sandwich. So many great ways to use this pickle recipe.
Let me know if you try it and what you think!
Leave a Reply