This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias
If you know me, I’m all about good and yummy comfort food. At the same time I’m all about trying to make swaps within a recipe that are better for my family. Finding simple ways I can do these swaps is simply taking a favorite recipe and swapping ingredients for healthier-for-you ingredients. For instance I have started cooking many of our meals with Mazola® Corn Oil. I always try to make smart, heart-healthy choices for my family, which is why I chose corn oil as my all-purpose cooking oil within this recipe. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing. So many great ways to use this corn oil – A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
February is Heart Health Month so I think we should celebrate with this yummy and extra creamy delicious shrimp dish! A few swaps I’ve made in this recipe are – using shrimp as my choice of meat for a leaner option, adding spinach to add in some extra green veggies in our diet/meal, using Mazola Corn Oil as well as using whole wheat pasta vs. traditional white pasta.
A few things I love about this recipe – my whole family loves it, it takes me no longer than 30 minutes to whip up, so on a busy day I’ve got a family dinner that’s a winner and it takes me no time! Not to mention I’ve also used this as a freezer meal and doubled my recipe and frozen the other half – pulled it out of the freezer for another meal a different night – heated it on the stove top and Voila dinner is served. (if you use it as a freezer meal you’ll probably have to use a little bit of cream or milk when heating it up just to cream it up a bit, if that makes sense!)
Creamy Tomato Garlic Shrimp
- 16 oz. Whole Wheat Spaghetti Pasta
- 1/2 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 1 lb. Shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese – optional
Step by Step:
- Using a stock pot heat water to boil your spaghetti pasta. Once your water begins to boil add the pasta and cook until tender.
- In the meantime, heat 1/2 cup Mazola Corn Oil in a skillet on the stove top with medium heat.
- Once the Corn Oil is heated add your shrimp and garlic.
- Sauté until shrimp become pink in color (on the outside layer)
- Next pour your heavy whipping cream into your skillet pan, keep stirring. (can substitute with milk for another better for you option!)
- Once your cream heats add in your cream cheese and continue stirring until it is melted. (another swap if you wish to add a reduced fat cream cheese!)
- Add in your sun dried tomatoes.
- Shake some salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with parmesan cheese, if you wish!
- Serve over pasta and enjoy.
I’ve served this with bread, a side salad, an extra vegetable or even a sweet potato or baked potato. If you have time for a side dish it’s a nice addition…if you don’t have the time it’s no worries, I promise the dish is a great one dish stand alone meal! If you try it let me know in the comments and also let me know if you do any additional swaps!
Leave a Reply