Traveling with a toddler can be a challenge or it can be a lot of fun.
It’s kind of all in how you look at it…is your glass half empty or half full?
My husband and I LOVE to travel. That’s probably an understatement but there is the reality that we have a two year old and not to mention travel takes time and money, right?
We have gotten pretty creative with traveling with our toddler and our last road trip was a long day of riding in the car. So if you have a toddler with a long days of car time ahead of you I’m sharing our go to ideas when it comes to keeping toddlers entertained in the car!
- Snacks- it’s been said but I’ll say it again snacks are always a WIN! Don’t get snacks they eat everyday though…find some new and exciting snacks! We especially like snacks that she can “eat” on her own…i.e. something small that keeps her busy too – cheerios or small peanut butter crackers etc. 2. New Games – We love these Find It games! These amazing Identity Games were given to us in exchange for our honest opinion! This kept her busy for quite sometime and if your kids are older they even come with little cards and seek and find type instructions! They are compact and entertaining! A challenge for kids this season as they venture on a treasure hunt to search for loveable characters from Captain Underpants, Sesame Street Jr. and Where’s Waldo? They needn’t go very far as everything is contained in the hand-held adventure game. Parent company Identity Games is pleased to announce its 2017 collection, check them out!!!
3. Activities – We ventured into the craft aisle and snagged something totally new! These pipe cleaners and pony beads saved me lots of boring car time! We are going to try Play Doh + a small aluminum try to put it on, next time!
4. Screen Time – Say what you want but screen time in the car is a life saver! Whether it’s looking at our family videos and family pictures on my phone to watching a new little video no the iPad! 5. Music- My little loves music so we snagged a few new CD’s to listen to and fall asleep to! This helped pass time as well.
6. Sleep – Let them sleep as much as they want
7. STOP...but also stop and let them run and wear themselves out so they will sleep! 8. Picture Albums/Books – We have a ton of small picture books and our little one LOVES looking at them and so as a treat I bring along a handful and let her look at them.
8. Color/ Draw– our little LOVES to color…I sat beside her for I can’t tell you how long and we colored on the road trip.
Don’t be surprised when their attention span is quick…just go with it but don’t pull a single new thing out of the bag until they are DONE with the other “activity”. Stretch each activity as long and as far as you can!
What tricks do you have to share? I’d love to hear your ideas and go to’s!!!
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little two year old, Miss E, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that we run two successful businesses together! Follow me at: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST