This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BrewToPerfection #MrCoffeeDay #CollectiveBias
Did you know that it’s National Coffee Month?
Yeh I had no clue either. I should have known there was such a thing because I’m actually quite elated to jump on board for this band wagon! Any excuse for a cup of coffee is always on my agenda for the day.
So much so that as I’m writing this I have a cup of coffee sitting right next to me as I work.
In celebration of this National holiday I’m sharing with you our new found and favorite scone recipe. I have been on a citrus kick as of late and that’s always ok with the mister because he’s always up for anything “orange”.
In my mind I always though scones were something fancy and froo-froo that was really too hard to bake. My gourmet cooking friends make them all of the time but I never got the courage to try them…ask me why, I have no real reason to give you besides a fathom in my mind.
So I decided to slay that mental block and give it a shot.
I’m quite thrilled with this…so much so I’ve made more than one batch since the start of this recipe share! All of this to say it’s our recent favorite that we like to eat with our afternoon cup of coffee…and if you are like the mister you don’t mind it with your morning cup on the way to work either!
One must start with a cup of coffee and in celebration you can snag a Mr. Coffee 12 cup Programmable Advanced Coffee Brew Coffee Maker at Walmart – like we did! See my little shopper/helper was excited to tag along for this find! You can also Save $5 on all Mr. Coffee® Coffeemakers and Espresso Units over $29 just be sure to check your local Walmart for the coupon as well as they are doing in store demos!
Before I could even get my box off of the shelf little Miss E made a b-line to it and decided to make her a little seat while mama shopped!
Now are your ready for the BEST tasting and EASIEST fresh orange scone recipe? Plus if you are like me you probably have all of the ingredients on hand, which is always a WIN in my books.
If you try this recipe you just have to pinky promise me that you’ll tell me what you think, K?
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Zest of one large orange
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, gently toss flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir sugar and orange zest together until sugar is moistened and zest is evenly distributed.
- Pour in flour mixture and toss to combine.
- Grate frozen butter into mixture.
- Using your hands, work in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Gently stir in sour cream mixture until just about combined. Do not over work the dough! Again, very gently press the dough against the sides of the bowl a few times and form a ball. The dough will be sticky at first but will come together as you form it.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and lightly pat into an 8" circle about 3/4" thick.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles (like a pizza). Transfer triangles onto prepared baking sheet. You can arrange them in two rows, 4 in each row, or arrange them in a circle shape - leaving about 1" between each one.
- Bake scones for 15-17 minutes or until the tops begin to golden. Don't take them out too early or they will be too soft.
- Allow them to cool for 10 minutes on the pan before transferring onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- During this time, prepare glaze.
- Stir together melted butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla and fresh orange juice until smooth.
- Once completely cooled, go ahead and either dip the tops of the scones into the glaze or drizzle it on top with a spoon.
Seriously they are like melt in your mouth…the whole family approved! So now that you are drooling over our coffee treat, go ahead and brew you a cup of coffee and enjoy.
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little one year old, Miss Elle, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses!Follow me at: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST