What to Wear for Family Christmas Pictures can mean finding family outfits, color schemes and what to wear for santa pictures! Coordinating outfits for family pictures for the holidays is fun with these tips!
What to Wear for Family Christmas Pictures
Hi everyone! Hannah Harrison here, owner and operator of Hannah Harrison Photography in Lenoir, NC. I’m a Christian, wife (hubby is a firefighter so we have crazy schedules, but fire wife life is awesome) , and mom to an adorable three year old. Life around my house is a little bit crazy most days, but we wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve always loved photography and I was fortunate enough to make it into a part time career a few years ago. I was lucky to have a friend mentor me and helped me form my art into what it is today.
I offer themed mini sessions a few times throughout the year, with my most popular being Christmas shoots. I have moms ask me quite often about What to Wear for family sessions when it comes to these shoots, so I’d like to give you all a few tips and tricks to get the most out of your sessions.
How Should I Dress for a Family Holiday Photo?
● Know what your photographers set up looks like. This is the best place to start that way you can get your own idea of what outfits and colors you want to go with. We, as photographers, are always open to helping clients with outfit choices, but you are ultimately the one who knows what is in your closet.
● Coordinate colors – Pick a color palette and have everyone choose their outfits from within those colors. I don’t recommend doing matchy matchy because they tend to look very staged and distract from the real beauty in the photo – you and your family. Also, if you do want to use a pattern stick to using it minimally or one person wearing a pattern while others are in solids.
● Textures – I love seeing clients in different fabrics, lace, velvet, fur, anything really can add a small element that makes a big impact.
● Accessories – Make good use of adorable accessories i.e. suspenders and bow ties are always adorable!
● Timing – Try to schedule a time slot you know your little ones will be happy and willing to have their picture taken. Try to stay away from nap times if you can, if not bring cookies, candy, anything they like to bribe them into giving us a smile. I’m not above bribery in order to get pictures of your sweet kiddos smiling.
● Dress for the time of year – I live in the south so we can have all four seasons in one week. During Christmas pictures try to keep bundled up without looking like it and bring blankets if your little ones have a tendency to stay cold.
● Have fun! – Interact with your family and let your photographer capture those sweet memories so you will have them for years to come.
If you made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read through some of the tips and tricks I have learned over the last few years. These tips have helped my clients receive photos they truly enjoy because photos are the tangible evidence of memories you took time to create.
Also, if you would like to see more of my work feel free to check out my Facebook page and hit the like button to keep up with me.