Raised Salt Painting is extremely fun – Spring STEAM Science Experiment that will engage a preschooler in science. Use salt, glue and water colors for art.
Spring STEAM Science Experiment
It’s spring time and Easter is around the corner, so I’ve been pulling out all of my steam preschool activities. Getting creative with my preschooler is always fun and I hope you enjoy this STEAM Science Experiment as much as we did.
How is this Spring STEAM Activity a Science Experiment?
We combined art and science, new materials being used together and created a masterpiece! Using glue, then adding salt was a first for those two materials together for our preschooler. Then when she began using the watercolors to paint she was soooo excited watching the watercolor salt art come alive! It has a “running” affect through the salt while she painted which was pretty cool to see, even for me!
Why does salt effect watercolor?
The salt crystals soak up the liquid from the watercolor paint, creating areas without as much pigment.
Materials Needed for the SPRING STEAM Science Experiment:
Most of your science materials you will already have on hand, which is always a plus for me!
- Card stock Paper
- Liquid Glue (no glue sticks!)
- Watercolor Paint
How do you do Salt Painting?
1. Teacher/Parent – draw an Easter Egg or any design you wish using a pencil on the Card Stock Paper. I free-handed this Easter egg and if I can do it, you can too because I can’t draw!!!!
2. Fine Motor Skills- let your Preschooler trace the sketch using the glue. You’ll want the glue to line the whole sketch.
3. Next let your preschooler (on a cookie sheet/ tray) sprinkle salt on the glue.
4. Let your preschooler use the watercolors and paint the salt. They will have to lightly paint it – but it’s a lot of fun!
5. Once it is dry (which takes a few hours!) shake off the excess salt and you’ve got a masterpiece!
Preschool STEAM Activities are a lot of fun as they are exploring new materials, combining materials and use this time to ask them questions, discuss the experiment and explore! The older your kids are you can do as the artful parent did and let your child create it’s own design with the glue!
Looking for MORE amazing STEAM Activities for Preschoolers?
We are a husband and wife team, pairing our strengths together to teach our preschooler in the most fun and engaging way we possibly can. The mister is a high school educator at Northlake Christian school in Covington Louisiana and over the Innovation Center, which is all things STEAM. I am a SAHM that blogs pretty much everything we do in our little paradise, from what we eat, to where we travel to how we teach our little one. We hope you are inspired to incorporate STEAM into learning with your children.