Thanks to Basic Invite for sponsoring this post and letting me give you all my best tips for planning a party. Whether it’s a birthday party (which is where my brain is headed for my littles 2 year old party!) or a graduation party…these tips are sure to get you on the right track!
I love planning.
I’m an organizer to the core- to the point it becomes a weakness because I stress over something if it’s not organized.
At the same time, sometimes I don’t have time to really organize all of the details of an event, but my best tips I’m giving you today!
- Pick a Birthday party theme – this can be hard to narrow down because there are so many fun and exciting party themes…but do what you love and go with it! Don’t stress over it! Usually the older your child is/gets they end up picking the theme, which in a way makes it easier!
- Write it all down – brain storm your birthday party idea and write all of the ideas you possibly can find or think of that fit your party theme. This doesn’t mean you’ll do all of these ideas, it’s just a starting board!
- Nail down the details – This is where the fun begins. Details of decorations and the small things that make it personal!
- Use it to teach your children – One thing I feel most forget aren’t the invitations but the thank you notes. If there is one thing I love and respect and that is a simple thank you note. It’s lost in our generation, children aren’t taught to be grateful nor to show gratitude. What a simple way to teach and instill this gift into our children!! I know my little E can’t write yet and has no idea what she’s doing but my idea for this year is to let her “draw” or color (which she loves to do!) on each card. It has to start somewhere, right? I snagged our Thank you cards from Basic Invite and LOVE them. Not only was ordering super simple BUT – they have custom samples. You can receive one sample before you order ALL that you need!!!!!! This is amazing and something I’ve never seen before. Then to choose from over 40 colors of envelopes…and I didn’t try their free address collection service but intend to when I jump over and order invitations…talk about a mama-life-saver of time!!! Any 2017 Graduates? Check out their Senior Invitations or Graduation cards!!!!!
- Pick a Date – I know it sounds crazy but pick out the date as soon as you can and write it down on your calendar!!! Don’t pick a date around every one that you want to invite, if they can come they come…if they can’t, they can’t! Pick what works BEST for you!
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little one year old, Miss Elle, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses! Follow me at: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
I like how you listed picking a birthday party theme as the first step in planning out a party. My daughter really wants to have a gymnastics themed party, so that definitely helps kickstart the planning process since it’s really just the details that I have left. I thought your suggestion to write down all the ideas I have about how to make the party successful could be really helpful. I think it would keep me a lot more organized as I plan and prepare for her birthday party.
I like your idea to specify decorations after deciding on a theme. You want the party to be personal. My boy is really into machinery right now, so we might go with a truck themed party.