Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math for a Mother’s Day Craft Preschool STEAM Activity. Engage early learners in hands on science that is fun and easy.
Mother’s Day Craft – Preschool STEAM Activity
Looking for a quick and easy Mother’s Day gift made by your kids? This is a super easy STEAM activity for preschoolers where they can predict and observe as you create science with art! Using science to combine materials, art with their creativity and math with measuring materials. It’s become one of our favorite Preschool STEAM Activities.
By combining the shaving cream and glue you’ll have a puff paint…as you can see the texture is really cool. You’ll definitely want to have them paint on card stock or even cardboard as it’s a heavier paint that will need the extra support from the paper!
Materials you need for the Mother’s Day STEAM activity:
- shaving cream
- liquid glue
- food coloring
- paint brushes
- small jars
- Card stock Paper
Let your Preschool Observe the Science behind how to make puffy paint! Would you like to see more of our fun STEAM activities for Preschoolers? Go here –> Ultimate Guide to Preschool STEAM Activities
How to make Puffy Paint:
- Mix equal parts of liquid glue and shaving cream into a small jar. This creates a puff paint which is so cool. I used a 1/4 of a cup of each material for my two preschoolers and it was enough!
- In each separate jar put 8-10 drops of food coloring. So we had a jar for red, a jar for blue, a jar for green and a jar for yellow.
- Place a paint brush in each jar – so as to not mix the colors. Explain this to your preschoolers that each paint brush goes in the specific color jar!
- On card stock paper I free handed a flower for them to paint with the puff paint!
- Let dry. This may take a good bit of time for it to dry but it will become puffy to touch and you’ll know that it’s dry!
- I wrote on the paper “Happy Mother’s Day” plus the year and I let each of the girls write their own name.
They couldn’t stop with just one piece of art. We ended up drawing and puff painting hearts, Easter eggs, and then they just began painting pictures on their own.
More STEAM Activities for Mother’s Day:
Little bins for little hands has some more ideas for flower themed Mother’s Day STEM or STEAM activities!
We are a husband and wife team, pairing our strengths together to teach our preschooler in the most fun and engaging way we possibly can. The mister is a high school educator at Northlake Christian school in Covington Louisiana and over the Innovation Center, which is all things STEAM. I am a SAHM that blogs pretty much everything we do in our little paradise, from what we eat, to where we travel to how we teach our little one. We hope you are inspired to incorporate STEAM into learning with your children.