Inside: How to Take Photos of a Toddler – this can be a challenge especially how to get them to look at the camera or what if your toddler won’t smile for the camera! I hope these tips will help you take better pictures of your spunky toddlers!
We know that toddlers are on the GO! They are into everything, adventurous, exploring, mobile, inquisitive and the list goes on. CAPTURE that. Don’t always shoot for the pose. Capture their personality, capture their stage of life and enjoy it. So what if they don’t give you the perfect smile, go with it!
How to Take Photos of a Toddler
Here are my top tips for taking pictures of your toddlers and being successful with it especially when they won’t look at the camera or smile!
- Sit Your Toddler on Something! Yes place them on an object where they aren’t super comfy wiggling off of it.
- Give Your Toddler a Snack. We all know toddlers love to snack so feed them!!! Find their favorite snack and let them enjoy it!
- Show Your Toddler a new object. Find something interesting they have never seen. Set it on top or your camera. So yes it’s a juggling act for you, but you’ll probably be successful with at least them looking at the camera!
- Show Your Toddler the back of the camera. This is great for the older toddlers, because they can make silly faces and you can show them but have the camera handy because right after that they will give you a cute smile!
- Play a game with your Toddler Depending on their age…peek-a-boo is always a great one from behind the camera
- Recruit someone! Recruit someone to stand behind you and act silly or make funny sounds! This usually always gets good smiles unless your toddler is tired and cranky!!
- Let them down. Capture them exploring!
- Give them their favorite book or toy. Take their picture with their favorite things to play with!
- Place them in good lighting. You aren’t always guaranteed that they will stay but it’s a start! If you are inside here are some GREAT tips on Finding good light inside your home.
- Ask Silly Questions! It’s Always Autumn has a great read and one of her tips is to ask silly questions…this is true, it usually gets the toddlers instantly!
A great read on ideas of place to photograph in your home! READ more here.
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little one year old, Miss Elle, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses!
Follow me at: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Leave a Reply