This post has been compensated by Extended Stay America All opinions are mine alone. Are you visiting Maine and looking for Family Friendly Things to do in Portland Maine – from free activities to kid friendly we’ll be sharing our favorites.
Family Friendly Things to do in Portland Maine
We spent 2 days exploring Portland Maine and I wish we had had one more solid day for visiting…but there is always next time! We had a GRAND time and we are definitely keeping this area on our bucket list to return one day. I also wrote a bit more on What to do in Portland Maine in the Summer – if you are visiting in the summer months and need some inspiration!
Where to Stay in Portland Maine?
We like staying at Extended Stay America which provides a full size kitchen and laundry area. This is a life-saver….I’m able to pack picnic lunches, cook a dinner in if we need to…not to mention we can grab a light breakfast on our way out for the day of sight seeing. They provide coffee (a must for a traveling mama), oatmeal and granola bars. It’s the perfect balance for a breakfast to fuel us for the day. I can do laundry and stay caught up while we are traveling as well…plus this enables me to pack lighter if we need to, especially this time because we were flying!
Free things to do in Portland Maine
As a family, we always like to look for free things to do before we explore our options. Why? It saves money and we love exploring new places, adventuring in the grand outdoors and taking an easier minimalist approach to our travels.
- Walk the Old Port, Downtown area. – W – Union Street, E – Franklin Street, N – Congress Street, S – Commercial Street)
- Explore Cape Elizabeth and the Portland Head Light – (12 Captain Strout Cir, Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107) –> plan on eating at the Bite into Maine food truck mentioned below.
- Bug Light Lighthouse has an adorable green space where you can throw a ball or play frisbee, while catching beautiful views of downtown Portland – Madison St., South Portland, ME 04106)
- Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse walk the breakwater and take a tour if you can – (2 Fort Rd, South Portland, ME 04106)
- Drive through the local neighborhoods and get a feel of their life and see the beautiful architecture.
Best Places to Eat in Portland Maine
All of these places came highly recommended from a friend who just moved from the Portland Maine area…not a one spot disappointed. There are a few spots she recommended we didn’t get a chance to stop at but I’ll include in the next section below –> what we want to do next time we are in Portland Maine!
- Otto Pizza (576 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101)
Their signature pizza has mashed potatoes and bacon… and it’s a must try. We loved it out of the three we tried.
- Bite Into Maine food truck at Cape Elizabeth Portland Head Light. They’re pricey (as all lobster rolls are), but wow was it amazing! We went picnic style!
- Taco Trio (119 Ocean St, South Portland, ME 04106) We ate here the last day…and I wish we had eaten here the first day because I would have gone back every single day we were there…I’m still dreaming of this food now that I’m home!
- Holy Donut (7 Exchange St, Portland, ME 04101)
You can’t go wrong with anything you choose. Although their blueberry donuts were their “seasonal” and wow, so so yummy!
- Standard Baking Company (75 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101)
We got several things to try and their chunky chocolate rye cookie– spot on.
What we want to do/see next time we visit Portland Maine!
I have a list tucked in my back pocket for next time we visit Portland Maine. I know we’ll be back…and since we just didn’t get to squeeze it all in this last visit…whether time constraints, locations were closed or weather…I’m saving these recs for our bucket list.
- Two Lights State park (7 Tower Dr, Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107)
Beautiful views of the rocky shore, tide pools, walking trails, playground etc.
- Scratch Baking Company (416 Preble St, South Portland, ME 04106)
- Red’s Dairy Freeze (167 Cottage Rd, South Portland, ME 04106)
- Mailboat Run (54 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101) a fun way to see the islands.
- Gorgeous Gelato (434 Fore St, Portland, ME 04101)
Burgers and fries (like bacon-dusted fries :-D)
Are you looking for more kid friendly things to do in the Portland Maine area? Mommy Poppins has a list of 25 – I’m sure you’ll find a good fit for your kids/family!
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, as well as talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little three year old preschooler, Miss E, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure… we love to travel and love being involved in ministry opportunities at our church.