Here you will find an engaging hands on math activity geared towards your preschooler. We had a fun time doing this math activity at home but I included a preschool math activity printable for you to incorporate into your lesson plan. Make it the perfect National Donut Day Math Activities for Preschoolers.
Math Activities for Preschoolers
What you need:
- Pony Beads aka sprinkles for the donut!
- Free Donut Math Printable (Be sure to laminate for future use!)
- Please, Mr. Panda book – we love this silly book about donuts!!
How to play the hands on Math Activity:
- Read the book: Please, Mr. Panda
- Have your preschooler sort the pony beads (aka sprinkles for the donut!) into colors. A great way to get in an extra learning activity.
- Place pony beads/sprinkles on the free printable (top right corner)
- Roll the dice, preschooler tells you want number they rolled.
- Place, the amount rolled, of sprinkles on the donut.
- We played this math game at home for as long as my preschooler lasted, which was a good length of time!
How is this a STEAM Activity for Preschoolers?
STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math
We incorporated arts and math within this preschool activity to encourage creativity of decorating their donut. As you see one of my preschoolers randomly placed the “sprinkles” the other lined them up! Then of course through lots of counting we incorporated Math.
A variation to this for older preschool kids could be doing some addition with having two dice then adding those two numbers to then place that amount of “sprinkles” on their donut.
The BEST variation would be to eat some real donuts while you play this math game with your preschoolers!! 😉
STEAM Activities for Preschoolers
We are a husband and wife team, pairing our strengths together to teach our preschooler in the most fun and engaging way we possibly can. The mister is a high school educator at Northlake Christian school in Covington Louisiana and over the Innovation Center, which is all things STEAM. I am a SAHM that blogs pretty much everything we do in our little paradise, from what we eat, to where we travel to how we teach our little one. We hope you are inspired to incorporate STEAM into learning with your children. Follow us: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST