Engineering Preschool Activities are fun hands-on activities for toddlers and preschoolers to learn the concepts behind STEAM activities for preschoolers which include Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math. Engaging early learners in preschool engineering projects strengthens their skills for years to come.
Engineering Preschool Activities
Your first question might be how to teach engineering to preschoolers. I’m glad you asked! It’s not near as complex as it sounds and is a very fun way for the early learner to engage with hands on activities. You can read more HERE.
What you need to Engineer Cheerio Towers:
- Spaghetti Noodles
- Baking Sheet – just to keep boundaries and your area cleaner (if you’d like!)
How to engineer cheerio towers:
As The Educators Spin on It says “Preschool engineering takes form through play and material exploration. It is designing, problem solving, and building.”
This is a simple and easy preschool engineering project that every single preschooler will love. Let’s face it I’ve yet to meet a toddler or preschooler who doesn’t like play-doh and so any activity paired with play-doh is a win!
- Give your preschooler a handful of play-doh for the base of their tower. Explain this is the foundation and VERY important! Demonstrate to them how to make their base but let them explore and be creative in their engineering. One of the major aspects of STEAM activities for preschoolers is letting them “fail” so that they learn more. If their tower doesn’t stand in the end, you can teach them so much more about building their foundation stronger, sturdier, bigger etc.
- Give them several spaghetti noodles – and yes many will break…they will soon learn that these noodles aren’t quite as strong as they imagined! Again they will learn a ton through breaking these noodles – if you let them!!!
- Give them several handfuls of cheerios and let them stack and build. This is a GREAT fine motor skill activity for the early learner.
- You will be surprised at how their towers look in the end! As you can see my preschooler had an imagination with her noodles. Things got wacky but I guarantee you she learned a whole lot through this activity!
More STEAM Activities for Preschoolers that highlight engineering for preschoolers:
Alphabet Towers – Engineering for Preschoolers
CLICK HERE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT STEAM
We are a husband and wife team, pairing our strengths together to teach our preschooler in the most fun and engaging way we possibly can. The mister is a high school educator at Northlake Christian school in Covington Louisiana and over the Innovation Center, which is all things STEAM. I am a SAHM that blogs pretty much everything we do in our little paradise, from what we eat, to where we travel to how we teach our little one. We hope you are inspired to incorporate STEAM into learning with your children. Follow us: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Leave a Reply