9 Tips for Birthday Party Pictures including indoor birthday party photography tips and what lens to use for a birthday party.
I am a birthday party FANATIC! I love life and I absolutely love celebrating it! I am THAT mom that starts planning her children’s birthday parties at least 6 months ahead of time. With that being said, my parties often consists of many nights of crafting and require lots of time and energy. Therefore, I like to photograph all the sweet little details and the moments that occur on that special day all about my baby boy. When you photograph your own child’s birthday party it can get tricky!
Tips for Birthday Party Pictures
1. I can’t stress enough how important it is to have your battery charged and a back up memory card! There’s nothing worse than missing a good photo opportunity because your memory card is full or your camera died. I’ve learned that the hard way!
2. Use your zoom lens. Although I have grown quite attached to my portrait lens, I like to pull out my zoom lens on party days so that I can easily zoom in and out on my subjects through out the day.
The best lens to use is a wide angle/zoom lens. Kind of like a great all around lens would be a 24-70mm lens. You can go wide to catch the whole story or zoom in to catch the details too.
3. Make sure you are wearing your camera AT ALL TIMES. I find that some of the best images are captured at the times you least expect.
4. Lower your f-stop when taking pictures of your little munchkin digging in to his or her cake. After all, what’s sweeter than a picture of your baby chewing down on that delicious piece of heaven with everything in the background a creamy, dreamy blur?
5. Make sure to photograph all the tiny details that went into planning the party for your baby. Whether it be the sign welcoming your guests at the front door, or the party favors thanking them for joining your event, you will be happy you did so after all the hype is over and you want to look back on the day.
6.Find the right angles to take the photos so that the entire picture tells the story.
7. SNAP! SNAP! SNAP! I always say you can never have too many pictures. Not only do I take pictures of my own children, but I also like taking individuals of the kids at the party and sending them to their parents the following week! Who doesn’t love receiving a surprise photo of their baby? As Snap Happy Mom says “make sure to get the cake moment!”
8. Hand the camera off and jump in a few photos. This is something that many mommy’s often forget to do, but I think it’s very important. Your children will be looking back on these photos some day and wanting to see the mastermind behind all of their birthday parties!
9. Relax and remember to have fun with it! There are bound to be a few obstacles to overcome throughout the day when throwing a party, but all that matters is that you are with your loved ones celebrating the life of your little miracle. They are only little for such a short while, Cherish it, embrace it, and hold it dear to your heart!
Hi, My name is Lexi Perry! I’m a mommy to two handsome boys, step mommy to one very special little girl, and a wife to my very best friend! I enjoy the simple things in life and love making memories that will last a lifetime! Photography is a passion of mine for so many reasons. Not only do I enjoy looking back on photos and seeing how we’ve grown as a family over the years, but I love the nostalgia that resonates after looking through our most cherished moments through the lens! There’s nothing more valuable and precious than time itself, and since we can’t turn back time, why not keep the memories at our disposal through photography?