A huge thanks to Swim Zip for making this post possible and sharing my top tips on providing sun safety for kids. With May being skin cancer awareness month I thought it was fitting to share sun protection tips.
As a mom, the older I get, the more I realize the importance of sun safety and protection for our skin. With May being skin cancer awareness month what better time to share the steps I take to help my family stay protected. Sun safety and protection doesn’t mean we can never go out in the sun and enjoy water activities…it just means I take extra steps for us.
Sun Safety For Kids
- Wear Swimsuits that Protect. I love love love the long sleeve zip rash guards that Swim Zip. Swim Zip suits provide UPF 50+ SPF UV Protection and come in so many adorable patterns you’ll not be able to order just one for your littles! PS moms they have an adorable line for you too!!! hint- hint.
- Apply sunscreen. I know this probably goes without being said…but you’d be surprised how many parents don’t sunscreen their kids BEFORE they get in the water. It’s advised to apply sunscreen up to 15 minutes before getting wet. Don’t forget all of those “forgotten” areas like the tops of their ears (if you don’t have a hat on them) or the tops of their feet etc. Lather those babies up! Today’s Parent has a great read on the basics of sunscreen, applying and the top 10 recommended picks for kids.
- Re-apply sunscreen! Every couple of hours I reapply sunscreen – because it will wear off and before you know it the littles are burnt even though you think in your mind you put sunscreen on them!
- Use an umbrella. Haul an umbrella to the beach, set one up at the pool…even rent one at the beach if you have to! It’s a great way to “stay at the water” and stay in the shade.
- Wear a hat. Yes Yes YES!! Wear hats – Swim Zip even has hats that provide protection.
- Wear sunglasses. Protect your eyes as well.
- Stay inside during the middle of the day. It’s lunch time and nap time so we always head in during the hottest most scorching part of the day. It’s better all the way around for everyone…we get food in our bellies, we rest/nap and we stay out of the strongest and harmful sun of the day.
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little one year old, Miss E, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses! Follow me at: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST