As a first time mom I mentally prepped for our newborn session but at last I really didn’t prep. I wish I would have put a little more thought into it, not much but a little! Here are a few of my very own Tips to Prepare for Newborn Pictures speaking from personal experience. This will ease and calm you as the mom as well as allow your newborn session to run smoothly!
Tips to Prepare for Newborn Pictures
- Have your baby fed/full. If at all possible make sure their tummy is full. If not I can almost guarantee you’ll be stopping in the middle of the session to give that sweet baby a quick snack!2. Swaddle Blankets. I love the soft style as well as the natural lifestyle shots. I loved to just swaddle our baby and take her pictures. There are many more photo opportunities for the cutesy outfits! They won’t let you swaddle them for very long! I love the collection that Buttermilk Babies has to offer! Check them out!
Baby Photography Tips for Parents
3. If a little girl: Bows. Have some already picked out that coordinate with your swaddle blankets. I alway like the sweet headbands because they are sure to work on any baby girl…hair or no hair!
4. If a boy: consider a few sweet hats. They are all over etsy, if you’re stumped on where to even begin looking for one.
What to Wear as Parents for a Newborn Photo Shoot
5. Your outfit: ok if you’re doing family outfits prep! Coordinate is the key. Mama, pick out your outfit FIRST! Did you “hear” me…FIRST! Then everyone else is super easy to coordinate! Remember you’ve just had a baby so give yourself a lot of grace, but get in the pictures. You will never regret pictures with your sweet newborn. What you will regret is being too hard on yourself and not being in the pictures. Yet prepare yourself…you maybe among the 1% (ok that’s not fact I’m just being sarcastic here!) that as soon as they birth their babies they look like they’ve never had a baby. Ok now lets talk about reality…most look like they are about 5 months pregnant…and that’s OK! You have just given birth and gone through one of the most precious events in your life and one of the most precious moments of your life. Yet you don’t want a melt down over your outfit for pictures. So choose a top or dress that you really like, is comfy but helps you hide a bit of your tummy. Only because then the other part of reality is we don’t want to look pregnant…oh the hormonal roller coaster! I wore a pair of maternity pants with a loose flowy top that I had before I got pregnant but could wear at the time. If you have a sweet photographer they’ll let you hold the baby and help hide, and that’s a good thing because it boots our confidence.
6. Relax. In the end you’ll have beautiful pictures of your beautiful family and that’s all that matters in the end. You will cherish these pictures for years and generations to come. You forget so quickly how tiny and precious that newborn stage is. I love the tip of “loosen up” that Ashley and David Photography provide.
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little one year old, Miss Elle, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses!