5 Christmas Traditions to Start with your Family whether you are a couple looking for ideas, you are welcoming a new baby or looking for Christmas traditions with an older family. These ideas will spark creativity and help you make special memories together in the Christmas season.
It’s the time of year where my brain, as a mom, really tries hard to make sure our home is festive in celebration of Christmas. We strive to teach our little one, even though she’s young, it’s more about giving than receiving.
Yet I want our very own family traditions that we look forward to year after year. I know those traditions change and grow with time and different seasons of life. I don’t want the traditions to take over the true meaning of Christmas either, yet I want those traditions to point our family and home to the true meaning of Christmas, Christ’s birth.
Christmas Traditions to Start with your Family
Growing up my family had traditions.
I got married…his family had traditions.
Now it’s our family traditions.
We have carried some on and we are adding some in! I’m sharing our favorites as of this year…what are your family traditions for the holidays?
- Christmas Books- We started collecting Christmas books two years ago when our little one was a baby. Our goal is to give her a new Christmas book each year to add to our collection, then we pull out those books during the month of December and read them. It’s exciting because it’s a basket of new books to us and she loves books/reading! Not to mention it’s just another way to emphasize the meaning of Christmas and point our minds towards Jesus birth story.
- Christmas Socks- When we first got married my husbands mom sent our Christmas packages and I opened the big box which had all of the small gifts wrapped so pretty…at the top of that box was a pair of Christmas socks for me. I thought, how cute and festive…come to find out…this is a family tradition in their family of getting a new pair of Christmas socks! This year I added to my very own collection with a pair of Solmate Socks! A little something fun for your feet, Solmate Socks offers whimsical and mismatched socks for adults, children and babies. I love that they are proudly crafted with care in the USA. They began in Vermont now headquartered in Oregon. Use code FUNSOCKS until Dec. 31, 2017 for free shipping (Code not valid for expedited shipping options)
- Lights- Load up everyone in the car, bundle up, grab a cup of hot chocolate and go look at Christmas lights! As a child we drove through many neighborhoods oohing-and-ahhing over all of the pretty magical lights! It’s a fond memory of mine as we all piled up in my parents old van with cousins and friends!
- New Ornament- We like to get at least one new ornament a year. Growing up my mom always got us an ornament from where we vacationed that year or a really grand trip we took. My husbands mom always got him an ornament that reflected what he was “in to” or loved that year. When we got married we had the best time going through our ornaments and talking about all of the memories. Now we get an ornament from all of our trips/vacations and are doing the same for out little one.
- Cinnamon Rolls- Growing up we woke up to the smell of homemade cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. The delightful aroma filled our home and it’s such a fun memory I hope to carry on!
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little two year old, Miss E, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that we run two successful businesses together! Follow me at: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.