This review was made possible by iConnect Influencer Management, Febreze and Swiffer was compensated for my participation in this campaign, but all opinions are 100% mine.
It’s Labor Day Weekend which means the mister has Monday off, hey we’ll take it! We made our to-do list on Thursday night of what we’d like to accomplish on this long weekend. Of course for him one of the BIG things is working on the house. Getting a few more things wrapped up so we can get shingles on the roof here soon. For me on my to-do list was a bit of a fall cleaning. I know it’s September but here in south Mississippi it sure doesn’t feel like fall, yet! Although I can’t wait to open up my windows and air this cottage out! In the meantime Miss Elle and I stayed in the a/c and did some fall cleaning and made our place smell clean and fresh with this new Febreeze!!!! Cleaning is really no one’s best friend but we love it when it’s finished!!!
I of course do daily cleaning and weekly cleaning…but a few times a year I like to deep clean! Here are my quick tips for a bit more of a deep clean routine…I’ll call them the 3 D’s!
1 DeClutter – YES! Honestly, I love to get rid of things. Before you know it your house is taken over by “stuff”. We have too much stuff in our homes! We need to get rid of things we don’t use, won’t use and have never used. I know you are probably cringing because you’re one of those that thinks “well what if”. NO! Get rid of it! So I take a section of our house and just start in one room or spot and GET RID OF things!
2- Donate –DONATE your items that are still in good shape to a local drop off that can re-sale your items for a good cause! Someone’s junk is another mans treasure!
3 Deep Clean – Don’t just wipe over your counters and floors…get deep! Break down your list and prioritize and tackle!
- Get deep. Use some good cleaning supplies and clean your space. From top to bottom…look at every spot in your home, corner of your rooms, ceiling fans, light fixtures, bottoms of furniture, baseboards, doors, door knobs, cabinets, closets and just get to cleaning!
- It takes time so tackle one room or space at a time!
- Don’t get overwhelmed or you’ll give up!
- Make a list of your space and work on what you can and mark it off as you go! When you mark it off it gives you such a great feeling of accomplishment!!!
Here is my list of what I tackled this weekend to Deep Clean:
- Refrigerator – empty of items we don’t like or haven’t used in awhile. You know like those 15 bottles of salad dressing that have 2 tablespoons left in them–OUT!
- Kitchen Pantry/Cabinets – Organize and chunk what’s been in there awhile! Straighten everything back up and wipe down the shelves
- Book shelves – straighten, dust and declutter. Its like a family rule you never get rid of a book in the Staples house. So we don’t get rid of any of those in the declutter phase!!
- Bathroom – Clean out cabinets/shelves. Reorganize and straighten up, then clean it!
- Floors and Baseboards – Vacuum and mop along with taking a damp cloth and getting those baseboards and corners cleaned of dust! I use a Swiffer for my daily and weekly cleaning…for when the food falls in the kitchen or the juice spills in the living room… but it’s good for the deep cleaning of my floors too. Have you ever used one? They are amazing! I love the ease and not to mention how friendly they are on hardwood floors too! In our cottage we have concrete floors that we just sealed and it’s great and easy to use on these as well!
- Blinds and Windows – Wipe over these and clean up the dust! It’s amazing where dust collects, right?
- Straightened up Closets – Get rid of clothes we don’t like or wear anymore. I put away the little ones clothes she can’t wear any longer!
- Porch – Sweep and get rid of shoes cluttering the front door and then my favorite…a new plant in our porch planter and switched out the wreath!
- Dust – Dust the shelves, the cabinets, the desk the end tables, the bottoms of chairs and tables and our bedroom furniture.
- Light fixtures and Ceiling Fans – I saved the best for last- NOT. This is probably my least favorite but it has to be done!!
If you need a printable checklist here is a great one to grab! HERE
Hi I’m Erin a Southern mama from South Mississippi, owner and chief editor of Sixth Bloom a blog helping mom-tographers capture their kiddos and life, talking all things home, parenting and how we navigate through life. You will find me living life to the fullest with my mister (aka husband) and our little one year old, Miss Elle, in our 500+ sq foot cottage as we build our dream house on our two acres! We are blessed beyond measure, love to travel, involved in ministry at our church and in between all of that I run three successful businesses!