Shooting a Wedding for the First Time
What’s in Your Wedding Photography Bag
- Wooden Hangers – These babies have saved me more times than I can count! I have a box of 10 in the back of my car at all times. Why? Because plastic hangers don’t make for pretty pictures. I love these because you can stain the wood any color, or keep it natural– and they look fabulous!
- My 3 Favorite Lens- I always carry three lens with me, and these are them! I adore my 50 mm 1.4,85mm 1.8, + 100 mm 2.8. I could rave about them all day long! They allow me to have creamy, bokeh filled portraits, while also having the freedom to capture the details of a wedding day! I also rent the 70-200 mm!
- Tissues– Whether for wiping tears, or for dabbing perspiration in the summer heat, tissues are a must! No one wants glistening foreheads or upper lips photographed! As a means of not embarrassing my clients, if I notice their perspiring, I take a tissue and dab my face. Then I ask them if they would like to do the same– they most always do!
- Safety Pins + Scissors- Ever wonder how you’re going to have a strapless dress on a hanger without using those ugly white straps? Find 2 of the biggest safety pins you can, and you’re set! Tiny scissors are perfect for clipping loose threads.
- Needle + Thread- It always pays to be prepared! I almost didn’t include these in my bag when I packed for my last wedding. While getting ready, the bride accidentally ripped her dress, and guess who was able to fix it? SO glad I had these!
- Extra Memory Cards + Batteries- Extras are always a must! Especially if you have a second shooter with you. Mark your equipment when washi tape, so none of it get’s mixed up.
- Red Lipstick – I love wearing a bold lip when I photograph Weddings! A little extra red colored confidence never hurt anyone 😉 I carry an extra tube for touch ups.
- Business Cards- You would be SO surprised at how many photographers don’t have up to date business cards! Wedding Days are the perfect time to hand these suckers out!
- A Snack- Whether it’s for you, or someone in the bridal party, I can promise you that the granola bar you pack will most always get eaten!
- Hair Ties + Bobby Pins- It’s safe to assume that the make up artist or hair stylist will have a few extras on hand, but they don’t always stay for the whole event! That being said, extra bobby pins are perfect for pinning back stray hairs + fly aways.
Katelyn James talks about her favorite and what she calls the best camera bag for wedding photographers!